SARS-CoV-2 in Germany - Information
We provide two links about the corona pandemic where you could find all the updated information:
From Monday 27th Aprl 2020 on, Germany's 16 states have announced plans to make wearing (cloth) masks in shops and when using public transportation.
Update September 17th, 2020: The federal states and the federal government agreed on new rules and rules that still apply:
- People still need to keep their distance to each other. The minimum is 1.5 meters (5 feet).
- Gatherings in public or private area are only permitted for individuals or family groups of maximum 20 people. This restriction does not apply to:
- People who are directly related (e.g. parents, children and grandparents)
- Siblings and their families.
- People living in the same household, as well as their spouses/civil partners.
- Restaurants, bars, hotels, shops, etc. are open with teh following guidelines:
- Social distance of 1.5 meters must be maintained
- In shops, only a certain number of customers can enter at the same time, you have to wear a mouth and nose covering.
- In restaurants and bars, guests must wear mouth and nose coverings while waiting to be assigned a table, or when leaving the table. Personal contact details must be given to enable any necessary “tracking and tracing”.
- When using public transport, all passengers over the age of six must wear a mouth and nose covering.
- Large events such as concerts, festivals, soccer matches and other large sports happenings are forbidden until the end of the year 2020.
- Universities may open labs and other rooms needed for research on site if strict hygiene rules are being followed. Archives and libraries may open under the same condition. Further information can be found on the website of the Heidelberg University.
All listed information above can be found in this pdf file, the "Ordinance of the State Government on Infection Protection Measures against the Spread of the SARS-Cov-2 Virus" in the version from August, 2020 on in English, provided by the state of Baden Württemberg.
Note that some rules were slightly different in different states, in particular concerning the closure of universities. The link explains the new laws in German, but also provides information in foreign languages.
The MPIA and also IMPRS, have been a virtual institute over the last months. This is a preventive measure and will apply initially for an undefinite period. The IMPRS Office can be reached via email.
Concerning the lecturing, teaching activities at Heideberg University, we definitely could not return to normal university life at the semester start. The Heidelberg University starts to open step by step.
Heidelberg University is now trying to offer as many face-to-face events in small groups – from laboratory courses to colloquia for examination candidates.
Large-scale lecture courses will probably have to take place digitally. As far as is technically and organisationally possible, lectures will be available to students as a combination of physical events and digital formats.
Here is a link to the Heidelberg University website on corona virus-related information which will be updated regulary.
On the following website, provided by the Heidelberg University, you can also find information on Regulations for entering and living in Germany. For further information, please contact the International Office of your institute.
The MVAstro 1 block course on Astronomical Techniques taught by Eva Grebel is offered via Zoom. Please send an email to her if you want to participate.
Concerning the IMPRS seminars we are discussing solutions. The IMPRS seminar of the 14th generation, taken place in Trifels, has been cancelled to November 2020.
Update April 2, 2020: PhD examina: two options will be offered, in brief:
1) Remote exam: with candidate and chair examiner only in the room; other examiners connected via heiCONF; entry to the building controlled
2) As usual: but in a different, larger room as usual ("GoldBox", INF 226, ground floor). Examiners will be requested to confirm their availability. No audience allowed. Also no other people allowed in the building (parents, friends, ...)
Please contact the HGSFP well in advance to your exam.