The 12th Heidelberg Summer School will take place September 11-15, 2017 at the "Max-Planck-Haus" (Max Planck House) in Heidelberg, Germany.
The application deadline was July 10, 2017.
The summer school application is open to graduate students and junior postdocs working in astronomy anywhere in the world.
The number of participants is limited - early registration recommened.
IMPRS for Astronomy and Cosmic Physics at the University of Heidelberg:
Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics, Astronomisches Rechen-Institut, Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics, Landessternwarte Koenigstuhl, and Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies.
Scientific organizing committee:
Friedrich Roepke, Andreas Bauswein (HITS Heidelberg), Rainer Spurzem (ARI Heidelberg).
Thomas Baumgarte (Bowdoin College, Brunswick)
Tobias Fischer (University of Wroclaw)
Ewald Müller (MPA, Garching)
Paulo Freire (MPIfR, Bonn)
Nikolaos Stergioulas (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)
Scope of the School:
Relativistic astrophysics and their objects, compact stars and black holes, is one of the most fascinating topics in astronomy. The recent discovery of gravitational waves has even boosted interest in this field.
The school will look at the principles of relativistic astrophysics and the numerical methods applied. We will discuss properties of compact objects, how they form, how they are structured, and how they look like.
Topics to be to covered include:
- Relativistic hydrodynamics, numerical relativity
- Gravitational waves
- Core collapse supernovae, formation of compact objects,
- Structure of neutron stars, neutron star equation of state
- Compact object binaries, neutron-star mergers
The school has three main components spread throughout the week
1. A series of structured lectures given by the main lecturers.
2. Presentations by other speakers (locals and invited) on the specific applications and results in the field of the school.
3. A social programme to enable and encourage scientific interaction between students, lecturers and speakers.
Here you find the school program (as of July 11).
More information / registration:
Please, follow this link to obtain further information about how to apply for participation, how to arrange for accomodation and more ...