The 14th Heidelberg Summer School takes place September 9-13, 2019 at the "Mathematikon" in Heidelberg, Germany.
IMPRS for Astronomy and Cosmic Physics at the University of Heidelberg (IMPRS-HD):
Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics, Astronomisches Rechen-Institut, Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics, Landessternwarte Koenigstuhl, and Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies.
Scientific organizing committee:
Tom Herbst (MPIA)
Rebecca Bernstein (Carnegie Observatories, Pasadena)
Elizabeth George (European Southern Observatory)
Andreas Glindemann (European Southern Observatory)
Christoph Keller (Leiden University)
Francois Rigaut (Australian National Observatory, Canberra)
Scope of the School:
The 2019 Heidelberg Summer School will focus on all aspects of instrumentation for ground-based astronomy at visible and near-infrared wavelengths. This includes innovative techniques, such as adaptive optics, interferometry, and exoplanet imaging and spectroscopy.
Five distinguished invited lecturers, along with an assortment of local experts, will provide an introduction to the field with an emphasis on real-world applicatiions.
In addition to the formal lectures, there will be problem-solving sessions, career discussions, and a variety of social activities.
Topics that are covered include:
- Adaptive optics
- High-contrast imaging and spectroscopy
- Spectrograph design
- Infrared instrumentation
- Instrumentation for Extremely Large Telescopes
- Project structure and management
The school has four main components spread throughout the week
1. A series of structured lectures given by the five lecturers.
2. Problem-solving sessions based on the topics given in the lectures.
3. Presentations by local experts to open specific scientific problems.
4. A social program to enable and encourage scientific interaction between students, lecturers and speakers.
Further information / registration
Please read our further informations on the school and the application procedures under this link .
Here is the link to the application form.
Registration deadline is July 1, 2019.